• Houston Chronicle: I am currently writing freelance articles for the newspaper’s health and science pages.
• PRWeek: I contributed articles weekly to the leading public relations trade from the launch of its U.S. edition November 1998 through summer 2004. I served as the magazine’s primary Texas correspondent and wrote features and analyses on topics of national interest. I profiled the communications functions of corporations and organizations including Wal-Mart, ExxonMobil, RadioShack, Texas Instruments, NASA and the Boy Scouts of America. My personality profiles have included former Texas Governor Ann Richards and Enron’s managing director of corporate communications, Mark Palmer.
• Continental. I wrote the August 2003 cover story for Continental Airline’s in-flight magazine, a profile of Shell U.S. president Lynn Elsenhans.
• National Safety Council: I contributed many articles to Traffic Safety magazine and Every Second Counts, a publication for firefighters, emergency medical technicians, police officers and other emergency first responders. I have written about sports utility vehicles, motorcycle safety, road rage and other timely topics.
• Texas Co-op Power: This rural lifestyle magazine is distributed monthly to electric cooperative members throughout the state. I have contributed articles on electric utility regulation, including a historical perspective on former House Speaker Sam Rayburn’s contribution to rural electrification, as well as features on other topics of interest to rural Texans.
• Other clients have included: the AAA, Horticulture, Writer’s Digest, University of North Texas, Texas Technology, Food and Service News, Sherry Matthews Advertising and Public Relations, Dallas Real Estate News and WHERE magazines.
• Administrative branch: I covered the Texas Public Utility Commission and Texas Worker’s Compensation Commission in great detail while working as a staff writer and associate editor for RPC Publications in Austin. A small staff produced legally and technically oriented newsletters about government agencies for regulated industries. I occasionally covered other agencies including the Texas Natural Resources Conservation Commission and the Texas Railroad Commission.
• Local government: I wrote about Tom Green County government as a reporter for the San Angelo Standard-Times. Covered commissioners’ court, the tax appraisal district, political races for county- and district-court offices, and issues affecting the county-owned library and jail. Also occasionally covered the school board, city council and other government bodies.
• National: I edited the monthly GC Government Communications newsletter for the National Association of Government Communicators.
Courts and law enforcement:
• Covered civil and criminal proceedings in state and federal trial and appeals courts.
• Paid my dues as a “night cops” reporter for a daily newspaper.
• Wrote employee newsletters and press releases and handled media calls as a public information officer for the Texas Department of Public Safety, the state police agency that includes the highway patrol, Texas Rangers and other law-enforcement functions.
• Memorial Hermann Healthcare System (Houston) June 2004 to Nov. 2006: Senior Communications Representative.
• Writer, editor and PR consultant (Dallas and Tulsa) Full time Aug. 1998 to June 2004, currently part time. Clients included PRWeek, National Safety Council, National Association of Government Communicators, National Mining Association, Texas Co-op Power Magazine, Texas Technology, Food and Service News, Continental (in-flight magazine), Texas Journey (AAA), Mother Earth News, Sherry Matthews Advertising and Public Relations, University of North Texas, Texas Medicine, Horticulture and Writer’s Digest.
• Texas Department of Public Safety (Austin) Jan. 1995 to July 1998:
o Assistant Chief of Media Relations, Nov. 1997 to July 1998.
o Public Information Officer, Jan. 1995 to Nov. 1997.
• RPC Publications (Austin) June 1992 to Aug. 1994:
o Associate Editor, July 1993 to Aug. 1994.
o Staff Writer, June 1992 to July 1993.
• San Angelo Standard-Times (Harte-Hanks Communications) Jan. 1987 to June 1992.
o Staff writer assigned to courts and county government, Aug. 1989 to June 1992.
o General assignments reporter, May 1988 to Aug. 1989.
o Official records clerk, sports rewrite, library assistant, Aug. 1987 to May 1988.
o Intern and temporary special sections and newsletters editor, Jan. 1987 to May 1987.
• KBIL AM/FM Radio (San Angelo) May 1987 to Sept. 1987: News reporter and disc jockey.
• Bachelor of arts, journalism major, Angelo State University (San Angelo, Texas)
• Continuing education:
Governor’s Center for Management Development, Institute of Police Technology
and Management, training conferences sponsored by the National Association of
Government Communicators, National Information Officer’s Association and
the Society of Professional Journalists.
• Received first Memorial Hermann Focus Award, first quarter 2006.
• Folio Editorial Excellence Award, 2000, bestowed upon PRWeek, a national public relations trade magazine to which I contribute weekly.
• Media relations training materials reprinted in “Texas Standoff: Just call me a spokesman for DPS” by Mike Cox, Eakin Press, 1998.
• Up to Your Waders in ’Gators Award, bestowed upon DPS public information office by the National Association of Government Communicators (NAGC) Lone Star Chapter for handling media crises in 1997, including the Republic of Texas standoff and the aftermath of the Jarrell tornado.
• Article about Tom Green County Minority Hiring Council reprinted in “Texas and Texans” social studies textbook, Glencoe Division of Macmillan/McGraw Hill School Publishing, 1993.
• Honorable Mention, Feature Series — Texas Associated Press Managing Editor’s Contest, 1989.
• Lone Star Chapter, NAGC — Local officer, 1996-1998.
• NAGC National — Co-coordinator of 1996 silent auction, 1997-1998 newsletter editor, judging co-chair of 1999 Blue Pencil Awards.
• Concho Valley Chapter, Society of Professional Journalists — Local officer 1989-1992. Helped coordinate fundraising roasts.
References available upon request.