Sherri Deatherage Green
• Planned and executed media relations
strategies for key service lines as a senior communications representative for Memorial
Hermann Healthcare System.
• Secured a speaking engagement for Memorial
Hermann’s CEO at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. Pitched
the event to reporters and helped prepare materials for presentation.
• Wrote media
relations materials and by-lined articles about innovative healthcare
met with executives and physicians to identify and research potential
pitched stories to local, national, trade and community media.
to media inquiries by identifying executive spokespeople and preparing
them for interviews.
a bimonthly e-bulletin targeting national reporters and editors.
• Wrote press
releases and handled media calls as a public information officer for
the Texas Department of Public Safety.
• Wrote scripts
for public service announcements and a recruiting video.
• Assisted with crisis communication
activities at Memorial Hermann. Issues included end-of-life cases, 2005
hurricane activities, and the treatment of a young shark-bite victim in August
• Developed a set of crisis communication
procedures for the Texas Department of Public Safety’s Public Information
• Coordinated media relations in Jarrell, Texas, following an F5
tornado that killed 27 people. Conducted press conferences, organized press
pools, assisted local authorities.
• Ran the Texas Department of Public Safety’s Austin
public information office during the Republic of Texas standoff. Conducted telephone interviews,
coordinated announcements with spokespeople in the field, provided updates to
agency director and governor’s office, helped develop message points,
maintained a recorded information line for reporters.
• Handled communication surrounding more
routine crises for Memorial Hermann and DPS.
• Planned, launched and edited a
quarterly employee magazine at the Texas Department of Public Safety.
• Redesigned and edited a monthly
• Coordinated and co-edited a book
commemorating the DPS’ 60th
• Edited and oversaw production of annual
• Updated a recorded information line for
• Wrote, edited and designed a quarterly
newsletter for the National Association of Government Communicators (NAGC).
Project management/Event planning:
• Planned and executed a press conference
following the facial reconstruction surgery of a Kenyan boy whose story had
attracted national media interest. Activities included coordinating production
of medical illustrations and surgical b-roll video.
• Coordinate live surgical Webcasts
at Memorial Hermann.
• Regularly coordinated press conferences
• Planned and conducted special media
initiatives on topics such as concealed handgun licensing, parent-taught driver
education, driver licensing issues and holiday traffic enforcement.
• Served the national NAGC organization
by coordinating a silent auction and co-chairing the Blue Pencil Awards.
• Helped coordinate fundraising roasts as
a local officer of Concho Valley Chapter, Society of Professional Journalists.
• Working with a Web master, I developed
my own professional Web site.
• As a board member and publicity
chairperson, I led a volunteer team that redesigned my church’s website,
produced printed collateral and designed and placed ads.
• Have written articles for a wide
variety of national and regional trade and consumer magazines. Subjects include public relations,
technology, healthcare, utilities, rural issues, transportation, public safety,
general business and horticulture.
• Covered the Texas Public Utility
Commission, Texas Workers’ Compensation Commission and other administrative
agencies in great depth. Wrote and edited newsletters for regulated industry.
courts, criminal justice and county government for regional daily newspaper.
• Taught media
relations classes to trooper cadets and noncommissioned DPS employees.
• Spoke to
community groups about concealed handgun licensing and other topics.
• Taught a
writing class for Texas Department of Transportation PIOs.
• Memorial Hermann Healthcare System (Houston) June 2004 to Nov. 2006: Senior Communications
• Writer, editor and PR
consultant (Dallas and Tulsa) Full time Aug. 1998 to June 2004. Clients included PRWeek, National
Safety Council, National Association of Government Communicators, National
Mining Association, Texas Co-op Power Magazine, Texas Technology, Food and Service News, Continental (in-flight magazine), Texas Journey (AAA), Mother Earth News, Sherry Matthews Advertising and Public Relations,
University of North Texas, Texas
Medicine, Horticulture and Writer’s
• Texas Department of Public Safety (Austin) Jan. 1995 to July 1998:
Assistant Chief of Media Relations, Nov. 1997 to July
Public Information Officer, Jan. 1995 to Nov. 1997.
• RPC Publications (Austin)
June 1992 to Aug. 1994:
Associate Editor, July 1993 to Aug. 1994.
Staff Writer, June 1992 to July 1993.
• San Angelo Standard-Times (Harte-Hanks Communications) Jan.
1987 to June 1992.
Staff writer assigned to courts and county government,
Aug. 1989 to June 1992.
General assignments reporter, May 1988 to Aug. 1989.
Official records clerk, sports rewrite, library
assistant, Aug. 1987 to May 1988.
Intern and temporary special sections and newsletters
editor, Jan. 1987 to May 1987.
• KBIL AM/FM
Radio (San Angelo) May 1987 to Sept. 1987:
News reporter and disc jockey.
• Bachelor of arts, journalism major,
Angelo State University, 1987 (San Angelo, Texas).
• Valedictorian, Roxton High School,
Roxton, Texas, 1984. Winner of 1982 Rural Youth Tour essay contest sponsored by
Lamar County Electric Cooperative.
• Continuing education: Governor’s
Center for Management Development, Institute of Police Technology and
Management, National Incident Management System IS-00700 course, training
conferences sponsored by the Public Relations Society of America, National
Association of Government Communicators, National Information Officer’s
Association and the Society of Professional Journalists.
Organizations and Recognition:
• Received first Memorial Hermann Focus
Award, first quarter 2006.
• Folio Editorial Excellence Award, 2000, bestowed upon PRWeek, a national public relations
trade magazine to which I
• Media relations training materials
reprinted in “Texas Standoff: Just call me a spokesman for DPS” by
Mike Cox, Eakin Press, 1998.
• Up to Your Waders in ’Gators
Award, bestowed upon DPS public information office by the National Association
of Government Communicators (NAGC) Lone Star Chapter for handling media crises
in 1997, including the Republic of Texas standoff and the aftermath of the
• Article about Tom Green County Minority
Hiring Council reprinted in “Texas and Texans” social studies
textbook, Glencoe Division of Macmillan/McGraw Hill School Publishing, 1993.
• Honorable Mention, Feature Series
— Texas Associated Press Managing Editor’s Contest, 1989.
• Public Relations Society of America
– Current member.
• Lone Star Chapter, NAGC — Local officer, 1996-1998.
• NAGC National — Co-coordinator of
1996 silent auction, 1997-1998 newsletter editor, judging co-chair of 1999 Blue
• Concho Valley Chapter, Society of
Professional Journalists — Local officer 1989-1992.
References available upon